Saturday, November 3, 2007

What to do when the shaking begins.

Last Tuesday there was a magnitude 5.6 tremblor in the Bay area. The shaking was felt as far as Lodi, which is only 10 miles from where we live. I have never experienced any tremblor in my life, and living in California it is expected that earthquakes could happen.

But if the big one does happen, I want to be prepared for it. I found the following information from the San Jose Mercury News. It was an info sheet provided by the Red Cross.

If there is any shaking my first instinct would be to run out of the house. But the info sheet says it is not the best thing to do. :-(

~~~~

What to do when the shaking begins


Choose a safe place in every room — under a sturdy table or desk or against an inside wall where nothing can fall on you. Move only a few steps to a nearby safe place.

DROP, COVER AND HOLD ON. Drop under a desk or table, hold on and protect your eyes by pressing your face against your arm.







If there is no table or desk nearby, sit on the floor against an interior wall away from windows, bookcases or furniture that could fall on you.







Be prepared for the next one

Teach children to drop, cover and hold on. Practice at least twice a year. Choose an out-of-town family contact.

Consult a professional to find out additional ways you can protect your home, such as bolting the house to its foundation and other structural mitigation techniques.

Take a first aid class from the Santa Clara Valley Red Cross. You can register online at www.scv-redcross.org or at your local Red Cross chapter's Website.

Get training on how to use a fire extinguisher from your local fire department.

Inform babysitters and caregivers of your plan.

8 comments:

Pak Zawi said...

Puteri,
Must be scary to be living in earthquake prone zone. Must thank my maker for putting me where I am now where only slight tremors are the worst that we could feel when an earthquake occured in Indonesia.
Thank you alss for giving us the google site for U Lee's blogsite (I read that at Riat Ho's As I was makling notes).
Unfortunately I cant access it. I would very much appreciate it if you could do me a favour by copying some of the postings by U Lee, the one you yourself like most and either email it to me or reproduce it in your own blog as something to be shared among those who missed his blogs.
By the accolades that people speak of him I think this U Lee is really something.
Thanks

Pak Zawi said...

Puteri,
I truly appreciate the URL you gave me. I was moved to tears to read that write up from U Lee. How do I go about locating the rest of the postings or whatever is available? They are too good to be just deleted like that.
I would like to thank you in advance.

DCampbell aka Puteri said...

Zawi,

You are welcome. :-)

Pak Zawi said...

Puteri,
I apologise for filling up your comment column with request after request. An avid reader of U Lee's blog has requested me to look for "Memroes od The Way We Were". Who else can I turn to but the only forensic expert that has been obligingly finding me the URL. Will be most obliged if you could do me this favour.

Pak Zawi said...

Puteri,
Please allow me to put your blogsite Puteri's Musing 3 on my blogroll.

DCampbell aka Puteri said...

Zawi, thank you for linking me. :-)

I have been looking for Memories of the Way we Were too. It was written in his earlier blog, and I cannot find it either. I have tried all ways to look for it, but so far no luck. I will most definitely let you know if I ever find it! :-)

Nightwing said...

I only experience it once when i was in NZ (south island), staying with a Kiwi family.

I was on the phone with a malaysian fren studying there also. I suddenly felt swaying from left to right...just a few seconds only.

My host mother quickly came downstairs to check on us. I was still on the phone. Even told my friend.

"Did u feel that? Cool huh?"..hehe.

But seriously..always be prepare..never know when it will be the 'big one'. Even in NZ, they are preparing for the 'big one'.

DCampbell aka Puteri said...

Ya, have to be prepared. Day time happen not so bad, but when it happens when everyone is asleep .. my goodness! :-(

Haha, at least you have experienced it! Ya NZ also has earthquakes coz got volcanoes.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

 
ss_blog_claim=5f4c9d8fa8cfc43e54e47bd3e82491ce